Shahs of Sunset (Eng)




BBFC1 (Eng)

Team Bear (Eng)




Budapest Celtic Lions (Hun)

Rigford Seahawks Alpha (Eng)




Rigford Seahawks Omega (Eng)

Les 5 Salopards (Fra)




Budapest Celtic Pumas (Eng)

* Shahs of Sunset won 3-2 on penalties.

As the 2013 Budapest Fives Cup Quarter-Finals were about to get underway we were down to the elite 8 teams in the tournament representing England, France andHungary.


We started on Pitch A with Shahs of Sunset versus BBFC1. Both teams had similar backgrounds – they were both playing in their second tournament, both had previously got to the Cup Quarter-Finals and both had exited at this stage. One of these teams would go on to put that record to bed but who?


By a quirk of fate they had met before in the group stage and could not be separated in a nil nil draw. On this occasion we were to get goals and it was Tom Obafemi who scored his second of the tournament to give BBFC1 a first half lead. Amazingly this was the first goal that Samir Benyounes had conceded all day.


It was a lead Banter Bus FC were to hold until very close to the end when Anders Schmactenberg scored a late equalizer to keep his team in the tournament. The match finished 1-1 and we were going into a penalty shoot-out.


It was déjà vu for Shahs of Sunset who went to a penalty shoot-out in the 2012 Valencia Fives Cup Quarter-Finals and lost. They had demons to exorcise.


It was Shahs of Sunset to shoot first as Martin Weltman's effort was saved by David Coleman. BBFC1 then put their first penalty wide so we were still level. David Coleman came close to saving Gabriele Nardo's penalty as it hit the post, onto the keeper who pushed it on to the post but then nestled in the back of the net.


Lewis Henson was up next for BBFC1…he scored it – thumped down the middle for 1-1. Paul Lehair stepped up next for Shahs of Sunset and put it in the ‘keepers bottom right hand corner. Pressure was now on BBFC1 and they handled it well…bottom corner for 2-2. It was now sudden death in the shoot-out.


Up next for Shahs of Sunset was Anes Jusic who missed the vital penalty in Valencia. He had demons to exorcise more than most. His team were right behind “El Capitano”. Coleman got a hand to the ball but the shot had enough power to convert. Tom Obafemi was up next to keep his team in the tournament. Samir Benyounes saved it though and the Shahs of Sunset went nuts. Benyounes disappeared under a buddle on ground as Lewis Henson sportingly came over to congratulate his conquerers.


BBFC1 fell at the Cup Quarter-Final stage for the second year in a row. They've certainly got it in them to go further and maybe it will be third time lucky.


So, who would meet Shahs of Sunset in the Semi-Final? It was the winners of Group C, Team Bear, against Group B's runners-up Budapest Celtic Lions. Team Bear had the best record of all the teams in the group phase and for that reason you had to put them down as favourites for this tie.


Budapest Celtic Lions were unbeaten though with 3 wins and 2 draws to their name so would certainly be no pushovers. We had expected a close game and that is what we got but Team Bear always had the edge. At half-time it was the English team who lead 1-0 through Billy Saunders.


In the second half we were to witness a second goal for Billy Saunders and for Team Bear. It was a goal that proved decisive and there was no coming back from 2-0 down for Budapest Celtic Lions.


It was Billy Saunders 6th goal of the tournament and he was emerging as one of the contenders for the Golden Boot award and had at least one more game (maybe two) to add to his tally.


Quarter-Final three was an interesting line-up as Rigford Seahawks Alpha took on Rigford Seahawks Omega. It was a Seahawks debut and the first time they'd met in tournaments.


We are not privy to how Rigford Seahawks decided upon their squad lists - whether they were chosen on a hierarchical basis or on a farily even basis. Results in the group phase would suggest that if it was the former then the Alpha team would be the “A” team and the Omega team would be the “B” team….or maybe we're reading too much into group phase results.


Rigford Seahawks Alpha had certainly had the better of the results and for that reason we had an inkling that it would be they who would make it through. After an early defeat they were now on a sequence of 4 wins in a row and how they would deeply love to make it 5 wins against their team-mates and now rivals.


If our inclination was for an Alpha win we'd have been wrong as the Omega squad won the “Battle of the Seahawks”. Ronan Dallender struck the first blow in the first half before Clark Brady made it 2-0 in the second half. It was the Omega squad who would claim the Cup Semi-Final place and the all-important bragging rights.


The final Quarter-Final was Les 5 Salopards versus Budapest Celtic Pumas. The Pumas were Hungary's and Budapest Celtic's last chance to claim the ultimate prize for their country and for their club.


Les 5 Salopards started very brightly and put their opposition to the sword. They were showing no mercy (as opposed to ‘merci') and raced into a 3-0 lead by half-time. It was a stunning first half that saw them pretty much clinch the tie in the opening period. There was two goals for Yanick Jista taking his tally for the tournament to 7 and he currently led the goalscoring charts. Nabil Kaidi also contributed with his second of the tournament.


Budapest Celtic Pumas had it all to do in the second half and they pulled a goal back to make it 3-1. Could this be the start of a monumental comeback? Sadly for them – no. Joyously for Les 5 Salopards – no.


Final score 3-1 and it was Les 5 Salopards who progressed.

Click on links below to proceed to



©Copyright 2006 |
site disclaimer | contact us