Seleccion Balear (Spa)




The Drip Trays (Eng)

Wrexham Rednecks (Wal)




Stanford FC (Eng)

We've Got Wood (Eng)




Contejus Hurricanes (Eng)

Scoregasm (Eng)




2Goals1Cup (Eng)


We arrived at the Plate Quarter-Final stage and we would shortly see eight teams reduced to four teams. Seleccion Balear would meet The Drip Trays. The pre-determined draw meant the 3 rd best 3 rd placed team would meet the best 6th placed team with the former being Seleccion Balear who would be favourites going into this game.

In a strange twist of fate the two teams had met earlier in the day in Group A. It was Lacey Green who emerged victorious in the previous encounter as they ran out 4-0 victors in Round 4 of Group C. A repeat would do them just fine.

It did not take long for history to repeat itself as Seleccion Balear went 4-0 up again….this time before the half-time whistle! Juan Garcia scored his sixth of the day to get the ball rolling before Jose Galitano and Manuel Pardo Exposito joined the party. Juan Garcia grabbed his second of the game before the break.

In the second half it was the Juan Garcia as he not only completed his hat-trick but scored 4 in the second period to finish the game with 6 goals and take his tournament tally to 11. He had leapt to the top of the goalscoring charts. The 8-1 final score was the biggest win of the day.

There was a consolation for them as Jon Bass scored his second of the competition but, sadly, it was the end of the day for The Drip Trays (on the pitch anyway).


The second Semi-Final saw Wrexham Rednecks take on Stanford FC as 4 th place from Group A would take on 5th Place from Group B.

Wrexham Rednecks had produced the best group phase by a Welsh team in the Mallorca Tournament after the Abertawe All Blacks in 2013 and was the second highest points haul by a Welsh team in a group – after Goals Aloud secured 7 points at the 2011 Amsterdam Fives (admittedly in a 7-team group). This was going to be a tough game to call as the two teams had both secured 4 points in the group phase – Wrexham Rednecks with 1 win, 1 draw, 3 defeats. Stanford FC with 4 draws but just 1 defeat.

As you can see, Stanford FC's games had been really close with stalemate in four of them and just the one goal separating the teams in their other match. Here in the Plate Quarter-Finals the game really opened up and maybe frustration from the group phase lead Stanford FC to chase a win too much. Whatever the reason, Wrexham Rednecks took full advantage and powered into a 4-1 lead.

Dan Prescott scored the first and last goal of the half with Daniel Jones and David Roberts scoring in between. A Danny Hammett goal gave Stanford FC a glimmer of hope but realistically the damage was done. Stanford FC scored another couple in the second half (both from Tom Field) but David Roberts, Daniel Jones and Gareth Hill were all on target for Wrexham Rednecks.

The final score of 7-3 was the highest scoring game of the tournament and Wrexham Rednecks were through to the Semi-Finals.


Pitch C had a lot to live up to after the fireworks on Pitch B with the game above – it didn't have 10 goals but it had plenty in terms of excitement and 5 goals is pretty good by any standards.

We've Got Wood would come into the game as slight favourites due to a higher placed finish in their group, a higher points tally, better goal difference, less goals conceded but they had also scored less than their opponents. I guess the main worry was one of form/fatigue – they were unbeaten in their first three games but had lost their final 2 group games. Hopefully the lunch break will have done them some good.

In contrast, Contejus Hurricanes had lost their opening four games but ended the group phase on a high with a 5-0 win and we wondered if they could keep that momentum going into the knock-out phase. There were shades of their 2012 Algarve Open Plate success where they lost their first 2 games of the day but won 4 on a row to go all the way. Could they be embarking on such a run to another success?

Honours were even in the first half as goals from Justin Hibberd (We've Got Wood) and Freddie Milne (Contejus Hurricanes) meant we would kick-off the second half level at 1-1. It was We've Got Wood who edged ahead at the start of the second period when Richard Jones notched his fourth goal of the day. We've Got Wood had the luxury of a two goal cushion when Ross Lawson opened his personal account and it looked like they would be marching into the Semi-Finals.

It was not over just yet as Martin Weltman reduced the deficit to 3-2 with one of the best goals of the day – when he received the ball there looked to be little danger for We've Got Wood but Weltman struck the ball on the turn and the ball crashed in off the near post. It was a nice note for Contejus Hurricanes to finish on as there was too little time for them to find an equalizer. We've Got Wood were through.


Three Quarter-Finals down, one to go as 2Goals1Cup would play Scoregasm. The latter were in unfamiliar territory playing in the Plate for the first time after 2 successive Cup Semi-Final appearances. For a team so used to Cup qualification this was a particularly tough task mentally as often teams can struggle with the disappointment of not making the Cup and see their form unravel. These two teams were from the same travelling group and had picked their squads on an egalitarian basis which had no doubt had an effect on their performance as the players that had done so well in the past were spread across the two teams. I am sure if there had been a hierarchical structure to the teams we would see the “A” team challenging for Cup honours and the other team possibly also challenging for Plate honours – we shall never know.

As mentioned, the game was a derby match between the two squads. It is not often teams from the same group meet in eurofootballfives competition but when they do it often has a strange atmosphere – sometimes the games can lack a little intensity or sometimes the games can have a bit too much intensity with players determined not to lose to their tour-mates. One thing was for sure, the group would have a team in the Semi-Finals and that bragging rights were at stake for the rest of the Mallorca tour and beyond.

This game took the light-hearted atmosphere and there was some comedy moments in the game but it was 2Goals1Cup who emerged victorious, 2-1. There was a brace for Russ Thornton who proved to be the match-winner. Group leader Joe Dolling bagged the Scoregasm goal.

Click on links below to proceed to



©Copyright 2006 |
site disclaimer | contact us