Argon'ze (Fra)




FC De Rimmer (Hol)

Ze'Argon (Fra)




Mannenliefde (Hol)

FC Shark (Eng)




Het Sterretje (Hol)

FC Dad (Eng)




FC Broxelona B (Eng)

* Mannenliefde (Hol) won 2-1 on penalties.

We arrived at the Plate Quarter-Final stage and we would shortly see eight teams reduced to four teams. Argon'ze would meet FC De Rimmer. The pre-determined draw meant the 3rd best 3rd placed team would meet the best 6th placed team with the former being Argon'ze who would be favourites going into this game.


In a strange twist of fate, FC De Rimmer's final group game was against Ze'Argon. A match the French team won 5-2. If Argon'ze could emulate their travelling compatriots they would have a semi-final to prepare for. Similarly, Argon'ze had lost to FC De Rimmer's fellow Dutch team, Het Sterretje, in their group. So, FC De Rimmer were hoping to follow in Het Sterretje's footsteps.


With the game underway, it was the French team who struck first. Vincent Cafiero opened the scoring with his first stike of the day. Benjamin Cahart turned 1-0 until 2-0 and Argon'ze were in control….just as the group phase form had suggested.


In the second half it was Argon'ze who wrapped up the game, 3-0. Vincent Cafiero, who played here at the 2014 Mallorca Tournament for Centrale Paris and also at the 2016 Barcelona Fives for Argon'ze, scored his second of the game.


Sadly, it was the end of the day for FC De Rimmer (on the pitch anyway) but they still had teams in the tournament to cheer on.


The second Semi-Final saw Ze'Argon take on Mannenliefde as 4 th place from Group A would take on 5th Place from Group B.

Although Mannenliefde finished lower in their group they had a higher points tally in the group phase compared with their opponents. Mannenliefde also had a positive goal difference (+2) compared to Ze'Argon's (-5). We were tipping the Dutch to progress from this tie.


Our tip looked reasonable in the first half as Mannenliefde took a 1-0 lead into the break. Ze'Argon had the opportunity of making it an all-France semi-final if they could make it through and their hopes were raised when they drew level at 1-1 thanks to Philippe Wolff. There was to be no further score and we would need our first penalty shoot-out of the day to decide this one.


Bertrand Desmottes would take the first penalty for Ze'Argon. His penalty was well struck but straight at Rick Dreschler in goal for the Dutch. It was advantage Mannenliefde. Rene Flooren was up first for Mannenliefde and he rammed home that advantage for 1-0. Ze'Argon levelled things up at 1-1 before Jeffrey Speek put Mannenliefde 2-1 up.


Rick Dreschler was then the hero as he saved Arthur Niel's penalty (in a very similar manner to the first) and the Dutch team were through to the next round.


With all the drama above unfolding on Pitches A and B, over on Pitch C we had FC Shark versus Het Sterretje in action. After two France v Holland Quarter-Finals we now had England verus Holland in the bottom half of the Plate draw.


On paper this was a very well matched game. Both teams took 6 points from the group with two wins and three defeats. FC Shark has outscored their opponents 10-8 and also had the better defence – 8 goals conceded compared to 11 for Het Sterretje.


It's often difficult to directly compare two groups as you never really know if one group was stronger/weaker until the knock-out phase and the teams from competing groups come head to head. The stats above suggested FC Shark may have the edge and on the pitch that's how it panned out. FC Shark took a first half lead but a narrow one, 1-0. Dan Smith was the man with the goal.


In the second half Chris Breen gave FC Shark the luxury of a 2-0 lead before the English team eased away from their opponents. Joe Cridland made it 3-0 and then Dan Smith's second of the game made it 4-0. FC Shark were still alive in this tournament. Het Sterretje would join their friends and colleagues of FC De Rimmer on the sidelines.


Three Quarter-Finals down, one to go as FC Dad would play FC Broxelona B. FC Dad were playing in the Plate instead of the Cup due to defeat against FC Broxelona A – could they enact their revenge on the B team?


FC Dad had quite an incentive to win as they could set-up a semi-final tie against their tour-mates, FC Shark. FC Broxelona were fighting on two fronts with the A team in the Cup. No-one had ever done the Cup and Plate double in the same tournament – FC Broxelona B had a chance to create history.


These two teams shared one thing in common – all their defeats had been by the odd goal. FC Dad's three defeats were all 1-0, Both of FC Broxelona B's defeats were also 1-0. In the games in which they scored they were undefeated – 2 wins for FC Dad, 3 draws to FC Broxelona B. This therefore suggested the first goal of the game was likely to be crucial (more so than normal).


The game's opening goal came in the opening half with Bradley Morrison scoring it. It was a lead the men in pink would hold until half-time. FC Broxelona A had been defensively sound today with just 5 goals conceded in 5 games (only FC Dad had a better record in the Plate) but they had yet to concede a clean sheet. This would give FC Dad some hope of finding a way back in the second half.


It was not be though as Bradley Morrison's second goal of the tournament proved to be the clincher. FC Dad were out (thank you for supporting us again this year) but FC Broxelona B were now just two wins from glory.

Click on links below to proceed to



©Copyright 2006 |
site disclaimer | contact us