FC Shark (Eng)

1 *



Mannenliefde (Hol)

* FC Shark won 3-2 on penalties.


The second final of the day (after the Wooden Spoon) would see Mannenliefde versus FC Shark. With seven games of football already under their belt the two teams would need to summon one last burst of energy to ensure they would be picking up winners and not runners-up medals in the presentation. Let's have a look at the two teams:

Mannenliefde (Hol)

Won 3, drawn 1, lost 3. Goals scored 12, conceded 9.

FC Shark (Eng)

Won 4, drawn 0, lost 2. Goals scored 17, conceded 9.


The two teams finished level in the group phase with the same goal difference and only goals scored separated them. FC Shark had scored (and conceded) one more in Group B. When the two teams met in the group phase it was FC Shark who emerged victorious (1-0). A repeat of that would do them just fine! Could Mannenliefde get revenge at the perfect time!

With the gamer underway it was a very even contested game and you could see why just the one goal separated the two teams in their earlier contest. It was maybe no surprise to see the two teams change ends with the scores still level at 0-0.

The second half proved to be one of high drama. FC Shark came the closest to scoring as they beat the goalkeeper only to see a defender clear off the line. It was only moments later that Mannenliefde hit the front. Marijn Beck's fourth of the tournament potentially being his most important.

FC Shark drove forward in search of the equalizer but they were thwarted by the post from a Chris Breen shot before the Dutch cleared another off the line with some fine last-ditch defending. It looked like FC Shark would just fall short of the finishing line but cometh the hour, cometh the man. That man was Todd Goodyear in goal for FC Shark.

With a final throw of the dice the goalkeeper came forward and the ball broke to him from an attack and he hit a first time shot which took a slight deflection and cannoned into the back of the net off the inside of the post. It sparked joyous celebrations from the FC Shark team and was heartbreak for Mannenliefde.


The goal was the last action of the game. The Dutch group had seen their KML team concede a last minute equalizer in the Cup Quarter-Final before a penalty shoot-out exit. Penalties would decide the Plate Final and Manneliefde would hope for a different outcome.

Of course, Mannenliefde had penalty shoot-out success in the Quarter-Final so they would be feeling confident. FC Shark had yet to contest a penalty shoot-out in competition.

Menno Monsfort was goalkeeper during the match itself but, like Louis van Gaal in the 2014 World Cup, the Dutch opted for Rick Dreschler as their shootout ‘keeper due to his heroics in the Quarter-Final where he saved 2 out of 3.

It would be Mannenliefde to take the first penalty. Jeffrey Speek powered it under the goalkeeper's dive for 1-0. FC Shark were level when Chris Breen made it 1-1.

Remy Maduro made it 2-1 to Mannenliefde as he passed it into the right-hand corner as Goodyear went the other way. This shifted the pressure on to Andy Stockbridge who was up next for the English. He went low and hard but most importantly the goal-kick was successful.

Attention was back on to Mannenliefde. Rene Flooren scored his penalty in the Quarter-Final but this time he put it over the bar and there was a huge opportunity for FC Shark. Joe Cridland stepped forward to the penalty spot with a chance to win it for his team. Dreschler went to his left, Cridland struck it sweetly to the goalkeeper's right as the cheers roared from the FC Shark camp.

What a Plate Final! Please spare a thought for Mannenliefde who came so close. They collected runners-up medals in the presentation.

Huge congratulations to the 2017 Mallorca Fives Plate winners…

….. FC Shark!

Click on links below to proceed to



©Copyright 2006 |
site disclaimer | contact us