Racing Literki FC (Spa)




Always Short (Eng)

East Compton Eagles (Eng)




Budapest Celtic Whites (Hun)

The Rain Dragons (Eng)




Seagulls FC (Eng)

Budapest Celtic Greens (Hun)




Spider Mans & Great Hawk (Eng)

* Budapest Celtic Greens (Hun) won 2-1 on penalties.

We arrived at the Plate Quarter-Final stage and we would shortly see eight teams reduced to four. Racing Literki FC would meet Always Short. The pre-determined draw meant the 3rd best 3rd placed team would meet the best 6th placed team with the former being Racing Literki FC and, naturally, they would be favourites going into this game.

In a strange twist of fate the two teams had met earlier in the day in Group A. It was all the way back in Round 2 and Racing Literki FC had emerged as 4-0 winners so another pointer to the Spanish-Polish team holding the tag of favourites to progress.

It did not take long for history to repeat itself as Racing Literki FC hit the front and lead 1-0 through Fernando Ballester. Lukasz Bozek added a second and as the half-time whistle went Racing Literki FC were very much in charge of this game.

The second half continued in the same vein as Racing Literki FC eased away from their opponents. Michal Przybylski bagged his third and fourth goals of the tournament and there was also a goal from Dominik Gora to complete a comprehensive 5-0 win.

It was a touch tournament for Always Short who started the day with the odds against them and a depleted squad due to injuries. They were bolstered by some loan signings but it was hard to assimilate the new players in successfully at the last minute. We hope the injury gods will smile upon them and they'll have a fully fit squad next time.


The second Semi-Final saw East Compton Eagles take on Budapest Celtic Whites as 4th place from Group A would take on 5th Place from Group B.

You would have to make East Compton Eagles favourites as not only did they have the higher group finish but they 1 win and 2 draws in their games compared to just the 1 win for Budapest Celtic Whites. They had only tasted defeat twice compared to 4 times for the Celtic team. East Compton Eagles also came into the game on the back of 4 points from a possible 6 and with 2 successive clean shoots.

It looked like East Compton Eagle's run of form was set to continue as they struck first. Andy Cockrean's first half goal was to be the only score of the opening period and there was still very much all to play for in the second half.

Defences were on top in the second half with East Compton Eagles heading towards a third successive shut-out whilst at the other end they grabbed the vital second goal to put the game to bed. Brendan McLoughlin was the man to score it and it was his third goal of the day.

The game finished 2-0 and it was East Compton Eagles who were through to the Semi-Finals.


The third Quarter-Final on Pitch C looked like it could be a one-sided affair based upon the results of the group phase. The Rain Dragons can consider themselves unlucky not to be playing in the Cup as they lead Group B at the end of Rounds 1, 2, 3 and 4 only to lose their final game (by the odd goal) and slip from first to fourth. They had 2 wins, 2 draws, 1 defeat and a goal difference of +4.

In contrast, Seagulls FC came into the game with 1 point from Group C and a goal difference of -7. What followed was a really close and competitive game that could easily be used as an example of league form going out of the window in a cup tie. The two teams reached half-time level at 0-0 and this game really could go either way.

In the second half the vital breakthrough arrived. Haydn Gush was the man with the all-important goal that earned his Rain Dragons team safe passage through to the Semi-Finals.

Seagulls FC would exit the competition but they left us with their heads held high as they reduced the gap on their opponents from the morning group phase.


Three Quarter-Finals down, one to go as Budapest Celtic Greens would play Spider Mans & Great Hawk. This game was the tie of the round if you were looking for drama and it certainly drew the crowds from the other pitches as all eyes were on Pitch D.

In many ways the first half was nothing to write home about, 0-0. The drama unfolded after the break as Spider Mans & Great Hawk won a penalty but Richard Eggleston saw his spot-kick saved. It was almost one of those moments where they were made to pay at the other end as Budapest Celtic Greens hit the woodwork but it remained 0-0. Richard Eggleston then made amends for the penalty miss by putting Spider Mans & Great Hawk ahead and it looked like it would see them through until the dying embers of the game when Budapest Celtic Greens won a penalty. Joel Meijer converted it for his third goal of the tournament and we were level at 1-1. The final whistle went and we needed a penalty shoot-out to decide this tie.

It would be Spider Mans & Great Hawk to shoot first and Davd Brown thumped his penalty home. Boris Pavlovski levelled things up at 1-1 as he powered it high into the net. Richard Eggleston then saw another spot kick saved and it was advantage Budapest Celtic Greens. Joe McCann stepped up for Greens and scuffed/dragged/bobbled his penalty wide. It remained 1-1 amongst great hilarity from all watching Celtic and Joe himself included. San A'Court saw his penalty saved which meant Joel Meijer had a penalty to win it. He scored a penalty in normal time but sent this one curling narrowly wide of the post. The two goalkeepers then took centre stage as Gareth Evans (Spider Mans) and Daniel Agafonov (BC Greens) each saved two penalties from their opponents so it was still 1-1 after 5 penalties each.

It was then the turn of the two goalkeepers to take the spot kicks. Gareth Evans saw his penalty saved by Agafonov. Agafonov then hit an absolute peach of a pen into the top right corner – “you don't save those”.

It was an epic contest but Budapest Celtic Greens were through.

Click on links below to proceed to



©Copyright 2006 |
site disclaimer | contact us