Atlantic Star (Eng)




Kehar Club (Cze)

El Studs (Eng)




Dogshead FC (Eng)


The 2009 Prague Trophy bore witness to two cracking semi-finals. First up was Group A winners El Studs against a very strong Dogshead FC.

El Studs were making their debut and had cruised to four wins and a draw in the group phase. Dogshead FC would be a huge challenge to this unbeaten run. Having just come off a momumental 7-0 victory against SK Zelenec they would be bang up for this.

In their last knock-out phase appearance they were knocked out in the quarter-finals back in 2007 when they were hot favourites. They were determined not to make the same mistakes again and so it showed as Adam Denovan gave them an early lead. El Studs had only been behind once before in this tournament and on that occasion they bounced back from a 1-0 deficit to draw level with Kehar Club. If they were going to comeback this time they would need to do it from 2-0 down when Daniel House made it 2-0. Before the break it was 3-0 from Luke Brammer and you could be forgiven for thinking it was game over and El Studs tournament was trickling away.

James Spencer had other ideas though and brought the game back to 3-1 in the second half. Most of the play was coming from El Studs and if there was to be a fifth goal you would expect it to come from them. If they could have got back to 3-2 then anything could happen and you could tell El Studs were right back in this. A rather calm Dogshead FC were getting more and more vocal as they knew this game was not quite put to bed yet. The fifth goal of the game was to be the decider as it ended El Studs hopes of a comeback. 4-1 then became 5-1 as both teams realized the game was over. Daniel House scoring two more to complete his hat-trick.

El Studs will probably feel hard done by with the size of the scoreline but Dogshead FC were the better team over the whole game and merited their place in the final.

Who would meet Dogshead FC in the final? That honour would be contested by Atlantic Star and Kehar Club. Kehar Club were looking for their second successive Prague Trophy final having come a close runner-up 12 months ago when they missed out on the tournament win in golden goal injury time. They were a much changed line-up from then and given the form in the group phase would have to concede this game's favourite tag to Atlantic Star.

Atlantic Star were much fancied to make the final and so it came as a surprise when they went 1-0 down to a Jaroslav Cernoch strike. The goal enabled Kehar Club to sit back and defend and force Atlantic Star to come at them. For long spells Kehar Club blunted Atlantic Star's attack and frustrated the English team. Atlantic Star had made comebacks before today most notably against their potential opponents in the final. They would need to comeback in this game first if they were to realise the ambition of their first final. Comeback they did and before half time they leveled things up thanks to Adam Whittaker.

The second half kicked off with the teams level at 1-1. It was déjà vu in the second half as Kehar Club regained the lead. It was a free kick this time from Martin Prchal to put the Czech team in pole position. The 2-1 lead meant it was park the bus time for Kehar Club again. The news was spreading over the Satalice complex that an upset was on the cards and even those watching the El Studs v Dogshead FC semi-final could tell something was up across the park. You could glance across and it was Atlantic Star who were frantically chasing after the ball on throw-ins, goal kicks etc to get the ball back in play. They huffed and puffed but alas could not blow down the Kehar Club door. When the referee blew the final whistle Atlantic Star were as shocked as anyone that they were out.

Congratulations to Kehar Club through who had pulled it out the bag and would go on to compete in their 3 rd final.

Commiserations to Atlantic Star who had shown signs that they certainly have a tournament victory in them.

Click on links below to proceed to



©Copyright 2006 |
site disclaimer | contact us