Deddington Sea Eagles (Eng)




Trinacria (Bel)

Deddington Sea Otters (Eng)




Fylde FC A (Eng)


The first Plate Semi-Final was between Deddington Sea Eagles and Trinacria. Deddington Sea Eagles came into this game as the highest ranked of the two teams with 8 points from their 5 group games. As they finished 3rd in Group A you could arguably say they were favourites against the team that finished 4th in Group B with 7 points. The points haul suggested the two teams would be well matched.


Deddington Sea Eagles were so close to making it to the Cup competition as they were edged out via a penalty shoot-out having finished level with the team in second place. We wondered if the shoot-out defeat may have had a demoralising effect on their Plate campaign. Whether it did or did not we shall never know but there was joy for Belgium in the early stages of this game as Trinacria won a first half penalty. Yassin Bouzonmite stepped up to take it and converted it The Sea Eagles must have been sick of penalties!


The start of the second half was particularly even with both goalkeepers making good saves. The penalty was the only thing that separated the two teams but the game then changed mid-way through the second period. The Trinacria goalkeeper. Francesco Urso, had already scored in this tournament and he must have fancied another as he came up for a corner – his shot was charged down. The counter was on for Deddington with the Belgian goal exposed but Urso made a last ditch tackle to thwart the counter – initially at least. The ball broke for Jonathan Simon Norris who took a shot from his own half, with the goal at his mercy, to make it 1-1.


From this point on the game turned on its head. It was a matter of moments before Mark Cook put the Sea Eagles ahead with a fine solo goal. He controlled the ball on his chest, turned his man and then flicked it over the ‘keeper. Rob Bradford opened up a two goal cushion after good work down the right from Cook. He lay the ball off to Bradford who chipped delightfully over the goalkeeper. Jonathan Simon Norris then put the result beyond any doubt as he made it 4-1.


It was a good debut overall for Trinacria and we thank them for making the trip from Brussels. They were a great addition to the tournament and we look forward to seeing them again in 2018.


So, who would meet Deddington Sea Eagles in the Plate Final? It would be either Deddington Sea Otters or FC Fylde A.


Deddington Sea Otters were the favourites for this one – they had the best group phase record of all the teams in the Plate competition. They recorded 10 points from their 5 games. This total would be good enough to qualify for the Cup in many other tournaments. They had a goal difference of +6 so far today. FC Fylde A were the underdogs as they had a points tally of 6 in the group and a goal difference of -2.


It was somewhat of a surprise then that within the opening minutes that FC Fylde A found themselves 2-0 up courtesy of strikes from Ramzy Elftesi and Ben Collinson. Both teams had chances but maybe the killer blow was struck by Jack Davidson. Surely at 3-0 there was no way back for the Sea Otters. Joe Thornton then hit the post for Deddington and the fact it bounced away to safety summed up their first half.


FC Fylde A were merciless in the second half with Ramzy Elftesi in particularly enjoying himself in front of goal. He went on complete a fine personal hat-trick to make it 4-0 and then 5-0. Deddington Sea Otters did grab a goal back through Joe Thornton but we are sure it provided scant consolation. Ramzy Elftesi was not quite done yet as he took his tally to the game to five as FC Fylde A completed a storming 7-1 win.


Our commiserations go to Deddington Sea Otters who missed out on a European Final against their sister squad. FC Fylde A would take their place in the Plate Final.

Click on links below to proceed to



©Copyright 2006 |
site disclaimer | contact us