The first quarter-final of the 2009 Barca Fives Plate can only be described as a feisty affair. It was a blood and thunder encounter between Metropolitan of Spain and Tsunami FC of England . The game proved tight throughout with both sides showing tenacity and determination. In the first half-they shared four goals with Pav Ortega adding his 5th and 6th goals of the tournament for Metropolitan. Tsunami had Ian and Phil Madgett to thank for their goals and so we began the second half at 2-2. Ortega completed his hat-trick but Phil Madgett scored his second goal of the game and we were level at 3-3 again. That was the final score and golden goal extra time ensued. When the goal game it was met with stunned silence as golden goals often do due to how sudden the end of the game comes around. The golden goal was a strike worthy of winning any game as Jamie Palmer struck direct from a free kick. Tsunami FC were through to the semi-finals 4-3.

On Pitch B we saw an all-Spanish fixture between Equipo A and Pechakali. Pechakali were down to only 4 fit players in their squad due to injuries picked up in the morning group phase. Equipo A showed no mercy or sentiment as they took full advantage by taking a 3-0 lead at half-time. In the second half Pechakali battled bravely and got reward for their efforts. In fact, they got 3 rewards but with a man down they could not prevent the goals going in at the other end and Equipo A completed a 10-3 win by the end of the game. Xavi Moya's 5 goals gave him a great chance of winning the top goalscorer prize. Jack Foorde also grabbed a hat-trick plus there were goals for Albert Marx and Miguel Soler.

The Hawks were one of the favourites for the Plate with two wins out of three in the group phase. DHL Prague Red were the current holders of the Barca Fives Plate but as they had made it through to the Cup competition it was DHL Prague Blue who were flying the flag for the Czech Republic to keep the Plate in Prague for another year. DHL Prague Blue had played well in the morning and their losses were narrow ones. They were to be on the wrong end of another tight game in this quarter-final too as the Hawks edged it by the odd goal in 5. With 2 Rob Millan goals for the Czechs cancelling out 2 Yasser El Borghi goals for Hawks it was the goal from Rory Gallagher that split the two teams and sent Hawks into the semi-finals.

Hawks would meet the winners of Kings Old Boys and Kameeeeene. Ajaz Budi had been Kameeeeene's goalscoring hero throughout the day and it was he who gave his side a 1-0 lead in this game. Kings Old Boys despite losing their opening two games bounced back with a win against Pechakali in their last group game. They showed bouncebackability in this game too when Michael Diprose brought the two teams level at 1-1 which was to be the final score. Two halves of golden goal extra time could not provide a winner so we reached the first penalty shoot-out of the day. Each team would have three penalties each to decide who would go through and who would crash out. After one penalty each the teams were still level both penalties being missed. After two penalties each the teams were still level both penalties scored. Surely something would have to give and it did, Kameeeeene missed the target but Kings Old Boys found the back of the net and they took their place in the final four.


Metropolitan (Spa)




Tsunami FC (Eng)

* Tsunami FC win by Golden Goal

Equipo A (Spa)




Pechakali (Spa)

Hawks (Eng)




DHL Prague Blue (Cze)

Kings Old Boys (Eng)




Kameeeeene (Eng)

** Kings Old Boys win 2-1 on penalties


Group Phase:

Plate Knock-out
Cup Knock-out



©Copyright 2006 |
site disclaimer | contact us